Home > Running > Shagging Goannas at Bobbin Head

Shagging Goannas at Bobbin Head

Long bush run around Bobbin Head and Apple Tree Bay this morning with JW. It was wet and muddy – feet soaked through right from the start. Quite a lot of gnarly single track as well as some decent hills of course, but the slowish pace made for good time on feet. It was a memorable run due to the big pair of goannas we found happily rutting on the middle of the track. You don’t see that every day! I nearly stepped on them and we faced off for a while while Jonathan and I laughed (and cursed not bringing a camera) and the goannas gave us a look that said “for christ’s sake move on – can’t you see we’re busy”.  Fair play to them though, they stood their ground and forced us to go around them in the bush.

It was a very enjoyable scenic run, and I’m still in love with the Mizuno Wave Harriers which are an awesome light trail shoe. We covered 35.1km in around 4 hours but really the pace is meaningless on this terrain. According to Jonathan’s Garmin it was worth 3 criossants in calories. Once again managed to complete the run on water alone which is a good indication that I’m storing plenty of glycogen and/or burning fat fairly effectively. A long time ago I used to do the “no breakfast” rule too but it can be a bit hit and miss, leading to severe bonking if you misjudge it.

127km for the week. Biggest week for several years in fact, but feeling pretty good and not too knackered. One more long run next weekend then start the taper for Six Foot. Will use the Equaliser as a good workout 2 weeks out.

Advertisements
Categories: Running Tags:
  1. 2012-02-06 at 8:53 am

I read that Vajin Armstrong was running 200k+ prior to Kepler. You have to question the incremental benefit of any ks over 130-160 surely.

2. Tiger
    2012-02-06 at 4:49 pm

Why? elite 5/10km athletes are running 180km weeks. Pretty simple formula, the more you can do whilst maintaining quality the better.

• 2012-02-06 at 7:17 pm

Thats all very well if all you do is run, eat and rest and you are elite (most of us are not). My only point is that the rapidly diminishing marginal return you get for each k over a certain level has to be balanced against time requirements, motivation and the risk of injury.

If Fatts runs 5:23 at Kepler on 100k/week, I wonder what mileage he would have needed to run to beat Vajin’s 5:02. My guess is it would be no more than 160k.

3. 2012-02-06 at 6:04 pm

I like Tiger’s theory which I can paraphrase as this: do as much as possible without getting injured, divorced or fired. It depends a lot on the individual but if your body can handle it then it can only help improve efficiency, economy and endurance. This is especially true of the ultra guys who don’t need to be doing much, if any, speedwork. For me any more than around 120km/wk average is just too hard to find the time and it’s diminishing returns for sure: going from 50 to 100km/wk will give you more bang-for-buck than 150 to 200km/wk, but for some it will still be worth it.

4. Tiger
    2012-02-06 at 9:42 pm

Sounds like you’re trying to diminish the performance of someone who ran alot of kms to perform well in a race that involves running alot of kms. If the bloke in 7th ran barefoot and refuelled with chia seeds I’m pretty sure he would’ve beaten Fats.

• 2012-02-07 at 8:34 am

That wasn’t my intension. Sorry.

• 2012-02-07 at 2:59 pm

I know what you’re saying Charlie but without knowing what those kilometres are (all LSD or plenty of quality too?) it’s hard to compare one person’s mileage with another. For what it’s worth my best Kepler was 5:06 off about 100-110km/wk but with plenty of mountain races, hill sessions and speedwork.

5. 2012-02-07 at 2:23 pm

I can confirm that if Fats wanted to run 200+km a week I would probably either injure or divorce him. I do think he needs to get some Vibrams though. Long white socks too.

6. Tiger
    2012-02-07 at 6:14 pm

If Fats runs more kms I have a better training partner and a home bound no longer procrastinating baker 🙂

7. Tiger
    2012-02-07 at 6:23 pm

Peace Charlie. It’s best for runners to take ownership of their results. Too many woulda, coulda shoulda’s live happily in the knowledge that they would’ve run X time for Y distance and would’ve beaten Z runner except he trains too hard because he doesn’t have a life.

1. No trackbacks yet.